Friday, March 5, 2010

Yuck!

I hate CANCER!!! To be fair, I don't think many of us do, but just last week, it affected our small community. A mother of 6 (yes 6) died after suffering with the C-word for awhile. Her kids range from ages Senior to pre-school. I have had the privilege of working with 2 of the 6 children and have gotten to know them pretty well. And to see them interact with their peers is surreal. With their mom sick for quite some time, they move around as though it doesn't faze them much that their mom is gone. Wednesday, I watched the 7th grader pick up his sister in kindergarten. Solemnly, they got their coats on and gathered their bags to head to the doors to be picked up by a family member who was taking them to the the viewing. The viewing that day and then the funeral on Thursday. After all done, they were back in school again on Friday. As though nothing happened. It's like they were numb and moving on all at the same time. Very surreal.

I feel for those kids. I think about my own kids at the same time and pray that they would be ok if something would happen to me and be strong like these kids. BUT....I pray that I have made a difference in their lives that they would miss me.

I don't know what goes on in these kid's minds (nor do I ever expect to)....but I pray for peace and strength for the future. Whatever it holds.

No comments: