Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A new one.....

So, my son did something that surprised my husband and I today.

This afternoon, around 4 pm, I was sitting upstairs and my son was on the couch holding his play phone to his ear and having a "conversation". When he was done talking, my son turns to me and says," Mom. Grandpa D is taking me camping. He will be here in 15 minutes."

So, playing along with him, I say, "ok. That sounds fun."

My son, turns back to his play phone and proceeds to call 2 friends, his friend T and ZT. Each time, hanging up the phone and telling me that Grandpa is coming to take him camping in 15 minutes and his friends are coming too.

For the next 2 hours, he would bring it up to my husband and I, and we "played along" with his imagination. After supper, he was really messy with fried chicken and we decided a bath was the thing to do right away. My son was getting ready for bath and came into the kitchen and asked for help getting his clothes. I looked in his hands and he had his pjs, underwear, and his slippers. I ask him what else he needs. He looks right at me and says, "clothes for later". Confused, my husband asks him what for. With the most innocent look on his face, he says, "camping with Grandpa."

Now, we understand that his imagination started to bring these thoughts into his reality. Carefully, we explain to him that Grandpa isn't coming to take him camping and that he had to work tomorrow. That Grandpa loves him very much, but he was just pretending earlier about the camping and it wouldn't be a good night to go out to a campsite. After a few minutes of tears, my son managed to climb into the bathtub and take his bath.

Imagination is good. Sorry kiddo for the confusion. Don't mean to spoil your fun. Keep that imagination going!

No comments: