Friday, March 28, 2008

Thank God for little boys!

Thursday was a day. Daycare was great....kiddos listened, slept, and nothing eventful happened either for me or my husband. It's what happened before and after that really hit home.

As you all know, we are in the process of moving. So this week, we have visited with 2 Realtors to see what we have been needing to do to get the house ready and such to put it on the market. Needless to say, we have learned a lot about selling a home in the past few days, but still have a lot to learn. After each meeting, I have been quite emotional, thinking about the work, depressed about the sale, and dreading all of it. So last night was no different.

After the Realtor left, my husband got my son ready for bed. And feeling sorry for myself and a bit overwhelmed, I joined the 2 for bedtime prayers. As we sat down, my husband asked our son if he would like to pray for our 2 friends, the twins. These girls come and babysit for us and actually argue over who is coming to watch our son at times. Great girls and our son adores them!

Well, we found out yesterday, that their dad, not only has cancer, but it's gotten really, really bad. Their mom works with my husband at school and it's looking like she won't be back to work for the rest of the school year, maybe more. Dad is in the hospital and is in a self-induced coma at the moment (we think it's to help with the pain until he is strong enough for radiation after his recent surgery).

So, in the midst of my self pity and self doubts, my son speaks up. He tells my husband,
Yes, pray for the twins. But then adds, pray for the twins mom and dad too!

I fought to keep my eyes from flooding with tears. A four year old, caught that the C-word was not only bad, but things with this family are sad right now. He caught from my husband and my conversation earlier in the day that this family not only needs a friend, but needs some extra words of prayer to God to help. He got that. I had already said a few prayers through the day, but didn't get it all. I missed how much a simple prayer can help heal a person's insides. And I missed how a simple gesture from a boy could be so moving that it makes me realize how petty my insecurities are. How worrying about the sale of our house has little effect on the lives of these people who are in so much pain right now.

So, now, I am re-focused. Yes, I still worry about the house, but mostly, I worry about my friends. I pray that God give them the strength to get through the tough times ahead. That God's blessings will be with them to ease them all through the pain and suffering and that he guide them to a new sense of peace....where ever that may be.

Thank you my son for the re-direction.
Thank you for refocusing my body to what's more important.
Thank you for being you!

No comments: