Saturday, March 22, 2008

Five for Good Friday

brought to you by:http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com

As a child the designation "good" for today confused me. How could we call such a somber day, good? Holy, yes. Blessed, yes. But, good?

As an adult I understand the meaning of good for this day. It is a solemn day of remembrance but it is also a time for us to stop and recall the great gift of love that we received this day. And that is most certainly good.

Our worship today will differ from place to place. Some services will focus on the great litany of prayers. Others will use the seven last words of Jesus. Some of us will walk the stations of the cross. Others will participate in a Tennebrae service of shadows and light.I hope that this Friday Five will be a meaningful part of your Good Friday. God's blessings to you on your journey.

Our prayer concerns are as varied as we are this day.

1. For whom would you like us to pray?
1. Pray for my brother, who may end up going to Afganastan around the end of the year and for his wife and kiddos who will see him leave not knowing what may happen.
2. Pray for the baby in my tummy. That it may get the right "stuff" to help he/she grow and be a beautiful and healthy baby. Safe delivery this July.
3. Pray for my sister-in-law and baby growing in her tummy. Same as #2. Also, safe delivery in July.
4. My Dad
5. My husband, son, and I as we move a distance away from our home we have established for the past 6 years. Please be with my husband that the transition from one job will be smooth and not too painful. My son, that he may not only embrase living closer to Grandpa and Grandma, but he will adapt to the new town, school, and community. Pray that all of us don't get too stressed, we keep our lives in perspective and continue to look forward to the wonderful adventure ahead.
6. Pray that the country can weather this storm of money concerns, presidential elections, and sagging ecconomy.
7. Pray for peace.

2. Are there things you have done or will do today to help the young ones understand this important day in our lives?
Talk about Jesus's life and what he sacraficed for me and for you. When talking about Easter, leave out the Easter bunny till the end, but help them realize that a wonderful thing happened for us, not that it wasn't painful or an awful way for an human being to die, but he took this pain and sacrafice on to save each of us from eternal pain. Slowly work in more details, but teach them the TRUE meaning of Easter.

3. Music plays an important part in sharing the story of this day. Is there a hymn or piece of music that you have found particularly meaningful to your celebrations of Good Friday?
Were You There. A few years ago, I was playing in a bell choir at our church. We played many songs during the service, but the one that I have always hold deep in my heart and embrase as the true understanding of the Passion Week and specifically Good Friday is this song. It makes me think of how lonely it was for Jesus during that last 48 hours. How his friends and followers all abandoned him. How he was left to die upon that rugged cross. How people who gathered, mostly gathered to taunt and humiliate him. I wasn't there, but the image does keep me in check. It holds me acountable more each year for the things I do. It makes me realize that no matter what I do, believing in Jesus and his sacrafice for me as a sinner is all that I need. Thank you for that Grace!

4. As you hear the passion narrative, is there a character that you particularly resonate with?
Peter. Here is a man who wanted to do the right thing. He told Jesus, I won't deny you. I will stand up next to you when others come at you. But in the end, he chickened out. I can't say that I wouldn't do that myself. I would like to say that I would be brave and let them take my life too, but knowing how fearful I am of other's at times and pain, I would probably cower in the corner as Peter did.

I also relate to Pontius Pilot. He wanted to do the right thing as well. He gave up his athority so he would not be responsible. He really wanted to let Jesus go. But, after seeing the crowd in all their fury and anger, he let them take Jesus and do what "they wanted" to this poor man. I would like to think that I would have the balls to stand up and say, "This man is innocent and I will protect him to the death". Unfortunately, I am still human and I would be found again in the corner avoiding harmful things to my body.

I do think though that Jesus, when he said take up your cross and follow me, did mean that there would be lots of dangers, temptations, and faith questions that will follow me when I leave my sin and try to be like him. I do believe that I will be tested, I pray that when each test comes my way, that He shows me the right way to go and forgive me when I faulter.

5. Where have you seen the gracious God of love at work lately?
When my husband was hired with WFPS this week. For almost 8 years, we have been striving to go back to his hometown and be closer with family. We have always wanted to raise our kid (kiddos) in a smaller community and work in a slower paced environment. There were a lot of wonderful and qualified people up for this position. My husband and one other person were selected. Why them? I would like to say it was all my husband. That he achieved this all by his experience, his wisdom, and his ability to show that in an interview. But let us remember that the main reason he was given all these opportunities, wisdom, and talent.....God blessed him for the past 8 years. Making him ready for each step ahead. He blessed my husband and I when we moved to the metro of Nebraska from college. Not knowing we were pregnant, he gave my husband a wonderful job and guided our steps to find the right people to help our son with the "issues" he had after he was born. He guided our steps to move from a 2 bdrm apt to a home 3 years ago and for me to quit my insurance job of 4 years to stay at home and start up a daycare. And now, he is guiding us home to be closer with family. Through each step, he has blessed my husband and I with the knowledge that we need to acheive the next goal. He has been with us and that Gracious God will be with us at the birth of our second child, moving out of our first house and into another, and through the tough times ahead.

No comments: