Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday Five: Interviews

brought to you by: http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com

Songbird just had an interview for a "vague and interesting" possibility, and More Cows than People is doing campus visits for doctoral programs. There always seem to be a few RevGals applying for new positions, and I just got my first call for this year's preliminary interviews for college teaching jobs at the American Academy of Religion meeting in San Diego coming up in a few weeks. It's for my dream job among this year's offerings, and I am flipflopping between excitement and nervousness. So please keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer for everyone facing such conversations, and share your thoughts on the wonderful world of interviews:

1. What was the most memorable interview you ever had? I interviewed a close friend who ended up marring my husband and I. I had to write a paper about people who influenced me in my life. He pushed me to look at myself and make changes that would help me be not only a better person, but do things better in my life. I owe him lots! Thank you!

2. Have you ever been the interviewer rather than the interviewee? If so, are you a tiger, a creampuff, or somewhere in between? somewhat in between

3. Do phone interviews make you more or less nervous than in-person ones? More nervous, because I can not tell what the people are thinking. At least in person I can gage the facial expressions.

4. What was the best advice you ever got to prepare for an interview? How about the worst?

Best: Be yourself. Talk from your heart. Listen to the question and talk it through.

Worst: Figure out your flaws. I concentrate more on those and forget that I am a good person with many talents to offer a boss and co-workers.

5. Do you have any pre-interview rituals that give you confidence? Breathe and try to relax!

No comments: