Monday, October 29, 2007

Husker Football

So this weekend was a blur! Oh my goodness. But Sunday morning was a "treat".

To explain, I need to tell you a bit about Saturday. Saturday, we went down to UNL campus. We thought we could take Zach to Memorial Stadium. Nope, they were locked up. Only can get into the stadium during weekdays. So, then we went to the union to eat and check out the bookstore. Bought our son a Husker Football then went to LSC for an open house. After that, watched the Huskers lose yet another football game. (fire the coach already) and then to the Gala (I mentioned on Sunday). Well after it was all set and done...we didn't get back to our beds until after midnight. Luckily, our son slept and we just crashed.

Sunday morning was a mess. So, my husband got up to go to church. The choir practices at 7:30 am before the first service (why so early is beyond me). So my son and I decided to join him at 8:30 am when the first service started. First getting my son out of bed has always been a chore since he turned 2 years old. After what seemed like hours of poking and pulling, he finally got dressed. Then, he discovered...that wonderful Husker Football we bought him the day before was not anywhere to be seen. I tried to explain to him that it was probably at his friend's house (where he was when we were at the Gala) and that we would get it later. This is where the fun began. Tears. Screaming that he wanted to go to Lincoln to get the ball then. He was concerned they would not find it. I'm looking at the clock.....it's 8 am. I have 30 minutes to get to church. It takes me 20-25. I'm not sure I'll get there. I try to get him downstairs. He reluctantly goes, but when he gets downstairs, realizes that there is a toy food hidden under the chair. I look at the clock....8:07 am....."Leave the toy" "No, I put it away" "It's ok this time, just leave it" "Mom, I got the toy. I put it away" "Please just leave the toy on the arm of the chair" "See mom, I put it away. Yeah for me!!! Where's my Husker Football?" As I open the garage door, he sees the car. I tell him to get into his carseat. This starts the Why questions. I don't care who you are....if you start hearing the why question....you just want to beat your head against the wall and pray God will take you now. Because one why turns into a 100 and you just don't have the time....especially when you see it's 8:11 and you needed to be gone a while back.

So, I finally get him into the carseat (yes, I did remember to buckle him in) and we are off. I see that it is 8:13 am and thinking.....great! Walking in late. At least I am there. I hit the road. I think that all is good then my 4 1/2 year old bursts into tears. "What's wrong?" "I don't have my Husker Football" By this point, I am praying that someone has left a football for us at church. I begged to ask the question..."Would you like me to call K & T and see if they can look for it?" "Yes!" So, yes, at 8:21 am on Sunday morning, I called and left a message to make sure the precious Husker Football is safe. Got to church on time.....yes I tend to speed a little sometimes....and my son tells my husband that the football is not here. He is completely lost to what happened but is glad we got there.

Later, after church, Sunday School and the grocery store....we get home.....a worried child was relieved to hear that his football was found and is being taken good care of until he can get it back. Our friends left a kind message....Bless them for that!!!! Since he listened to the message...not one little peep about the football. How funny is that!

So moral of the story. Don't buy your son any gifts!

No comments: