Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Story

I was asked to write a quick story of my time at the Lutheran Student Center in Lincoln, NE for a dinner on Saturday, Oct 27. I thought I would share it.

I moved to Nebraska from South Dakota in the fall of 1993. I didn’t choose University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) as my college until after I went to work at Carol Joy Holling Camp that following summer. At camp, I met my future brother in law. Between camp and him, I got to thinking about my faith in a new light. That fall, I attending Lutheran Student Center (LSC) because a friend suggested it. And even though I was in my second year at Concordia College in Seward, I loved it and started to attend more regularly. Once or twice a month, a friend of mine and I would jump in her car and travel 33 minutes to go to church at LSC. The services helped me so much and related to me. And who wouldn’t drive that distance to worship with such a great group of people: where the service was lead by the pastor who had such a booming voice there was no need for a microphone and the intern such a curly hair that he looked just like Weird Al (Pastor Mike). I loved the atmosphere and felt welcomed by all.

A year later to move from Seward to Lincoln and began attending LSC full time and soon joined UNL. A year after officially becoming an UNL student, I met my now husband and later that year I was hired to be an Outreach Director. I loved the position, staff, and all the perks of being a member of the LSC staff. You know we got a free parking spot and to a college student on a limited budget, that helped a ton! A few years later, I was voted in as a student board member of the LSC Council.

While on the council, Melissa E. and I decided to have some fun. We suggested the pancake breakfast during finals week. Without a second thought, it took off! We had a pretty good turn out the 1st time. The second time was even better! It was a great time! I learned some tips on making pancakes and am proud that I was one of the ones who started this tradition.

There were so many things I loved and still miss about LSC. The social interaction is a big one! I miss sitting at the big round table and chatting with people that walked in the door. Wednesday night vespers. Theology Class. Sunday Night Suppers. Christmas Service with candlelight. I especially loved the candlelight service. So much in fact that I convinced my husband to have it at our wedding. It was so special, not because that Pastor Larry Meyer married us or that the entire service was candlelight, but it was at LSC.

Even thought my husband and I have graduated and moved on with our lives, LSC holds a special spot in our hearts. I can still remember Pastor Larry giving me a hard time for choosing LSC over the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) campus ministry. I was born a simple country girl and had been raised LCMS all my life and even chose a LCMS college in Seward. But I knew that LSC was special place. It was not only a place that we worshiped, but also the home that my husband and I shared for so many years and that we grew up into adults. I’m honored that I was a part of it all and feel so blessed that I found such a wonderful place.

No comments: