Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday Five -- Waiting


Part of the Ascension Day Scripture from Acts 11 contains this promise from Jesus;

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Then he was taken from their sight into the clouds, two angels appeared and instructed the probably bewildered disciples to go back to Jerusalem, where they began to wait and to pray for the gift Jesus had promised.

Prayer is a joy to some of us, and a chore to others, waiting likewise can be filled with anticipation or anxiety....

1. How do you pray best, alone or with others? Alone. I find a spot or a time where I can have my heart to heart with God. Sometimes I pray out loud and sometimes to myself, but either way, I do feel like it is a conversation with Him.

2. Do you enjoy the discipline of waiting, is it a time of anticipation or anxiety? I hate waiting. I'm not the most patient person. The one thing that I have been good about waiting for is the birth of our second child, but at times I do find myself just wanting to have the pregnancy over with. To find out what this baby will be would be fun, but it's also fun to wait and let it all be a surprise. =)

3. Is there a time when you have waited upon God for a specific promise? Right now. The whole summer is a stressful one. Each decision that has to be made we wait for God to show us the way to go. Finding a new job. Selecting a new home. Selling our current home. The birth of our baby. I know that God will be with us and guide us through the rough and stressful time, but for the time being, we are waiting for each opportunity to arrive.

4. Do you prefer stillness or action? Action. I'm not one to sit still. Ask any of my friends and family....sitting and resting is very hard for me.

5. If ( and this is slightly tongue in cheek) you were promised one gift spiritual or otherwise what would you choose to recieve? The gift of patience. I seem to have very little of this, although it has gotten better over the year. Patience to here what God has to say to me personally. Patience to see his plans. Patience to live in this world while waiting for the next. Patience.

No comments: