Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday Five: Rejoice!

Can you believe that in two days we'll be halfway through Advent? Gaudete Sunday: pink candle on the advent wreath, rose vestments for those who have them, concerts and pageants in many congregations. Time to rejoice!

Rejoice in the nearness of Christ's coming, yes, but also in the many gifts of the pregnant waiting time when the world (in the northern hemisphere, at least) spins ever deeper into sweet, fertile darkness.

What makes you rejoice about:

1. Waiting? Knowing when the wait is over, I have been granted a wonderful gift. Patience, something new or waited for, or even something I didn't expect. This past weekend it was hard waiting. I waited 4 hours with my husband to purchase our new vehicle. We picked it out in the 1st hour, but the other 3 hours were waiting.
Yes, the wait was long.
Yes, I complained.
Yes, I was starving.
Yes, I would do it again.

Why?
I rejoice in the knowledge I have a new vehicle that will work when we need it.
I rejoice in the knowledge that my husband is more at ease with having this new vehicle.
I rejoice in the knowledge that each time I sit down in the seat, I will have a comfortable ride, with heated seats.
I rejoice that my son can now see out the window and gets excited.
I rejoice in the new car feel.
I rejoice because my husband and I did something together for our greater good.

All because I waited an enormous amount of time and did not detour from my decision.

2. Darkness? This is when I can sleep. Sleep these days are precious. I keep waking up (even last night) for 1-2 hours each night. When I can sleep through the night, I truly rejoice. When I can get any sleep, is a blessing in itself.

3. Winter? I love winter. The wonderful snow. The chill in the air. The excited screams from kids when they see the fluffy stuff come down or on the ground. The buzz in the air. The feeling I get when I walk into a store from outside, just makes my whole being wake up.

4. Advent & Jesus' coming?? The expectation of what is to come.
I rejoice at the thought that with this tiny baby, I am able to live a life beyond this earthly one.
I rejoice at the innocence of Mary and Joseph and the tremendous risk they made to bring Jesus into the world.
I rejoice at their courage and their strength and their deep love.


What a wonderful time of year!

No comments: