Friday, December 7, 2007

Friday 5, preparation, preparation.....

brought to you by: http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com


This has been a difficult week for me, the death of a little six year old has overshadowed our advent preparations, and made many of us here in Downham Market look differently at Christmas. With that in mind I ask whether you are the kind of person that likes everything prepared well in advance, are you a last minute crammer, or a bit of a mixture.....

Here then is this weeks Friday 5:

1. You have a busy week, pushing out all time for preparing worship/ Sunday School lessons/ being ready for an important meeting (or whatever equivalent your profession demands)- how do you cope? I start my morning with a quick prayer. The quiet time with God helps so much for me to ease my mind, get me refocused on my day and keep me level headed (hopefully).

2. You have unexpected visitors, and need to provide them with a meal- what do you do? I have always been the one who is pretty flexible. Sometimes we go out to eat. Sometimes we can prepare a quick meal here. I'm not very upset on ordering pizza either. =) I am just thankful for the guests and the wonderful time we have together.

Three discussion topics:

3. Thinking along the lines of this weeks advent theme; repentance is an important but often neglected aspect of advent preparations..... I think remembering why we are forgiven is so important. Remembering that Jesus was born and then later died for our sins brings so much emotion to my heart. I find myself feeling so blessed during the Christmas and Lent season that I very often repent for my sins without even knowing it. It becomes just second nature to anything I do. Humility is something I long to be when I think of all that I have given to me. Thanking God for his sacrifice and praising him for how he sent Jesus to earth in such a miraculous way, just brings such peace to my heart.

4. Some of the best experiences in life occur when you simply go with the flow..... I agree but disagree. I have learned that as long as I do what I feel is best, listen to my heart (not my head) things do tend to be good. That doesn't always mean following the crowd or going with the flow. That means following what I feel is the best decision. Sometimes that means going away from what everyone else is doing....but in the end, I feel better about how I have lived my life in that moment.

5. Details are everything, attention to the small things enables a plan to roll forward smoothly... I tend to be a leader. But when others step forward, I try and look to the little things to do. Every task needs the small things done to make the large picture to look great. I tend to get wrapped up in all the little things that need to be done that I let someone else take care of the bigger things. Making a big dinner, you worry about all the food, but I look at the table and how it looks and needs to be set up. I look at the after dinner...what do we do. The great thing is that I have such great friends and family that we all look to help each other get things done.

Bonus if you dare- how well prepared are you for Christmas this year? All we worry about at our home is getting the tree up and remembering that each day brings us closer to a wonderful family day remembering Jesus' birth. I don't have hardly any gifts bought or the lights up outside...but I do have so many memories built up already. My husband and son make remembering the other things so much more relaxed.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Oh, yes on #2. You can have pizza for us anytime, so long as we're together!