Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Goodbye my friends.


It's hard to believe that an era is about to end. This past Sunday, my former employer Roger had a retirement supper. And my other former employer Sunni, who is leaving as well, was in attendance. They are both leaving the camp I learned so much at. No, I was never a camper, but I was a camp councilor. I always wished my children could see the camp they built with both of them still there, but since I only have one child and he is only 4, this will never happen. Ah, such is life.

I did learn more in the 2 summers being a staff member than I had in college itself. Sad isn't it. I got "paid" for camp, and had to pay for school. =)

I learned that :
1. cooking pancakes and French Toast on an open fire is not as easy as it looks.
2. driving a par car was fun till you realized it did not go faster than 15 miles per hour.
3. sleeping on a cot in a Tipi (most comfortable sleep ever!!)
4. make sure you look out for holes while running from kids during game time
5. watch which way you are facing when playing outdoor games with C the camper
6. always take pictures
7. silly names make the week more fun
8. woo-woo
9. if you asthma, you can still blow the fire off your marshmallow, just got to know how
10. morning worship is most often wet, humid, and with a bit of sun in your face. But oh, so beautiful!
11. never underestimate the inner thoughts of a child during Bible study. it can surprise you
12. God is great! He gives us chocolate cake!
13. awesome possum!
14. take a wrong turn and you can end up at the Mahony tower.
15. the joke is the staff lounge and the basement all in one.
16. on certain nights, your tipi can fly and land almost exactly where it was before
17. celebrating your birthday can make other people's day
18. burns on your hands can be treated with lots and lots of ointment and make sure to put plastic bandaid on top then wrap with gauze.
19. after you wrap your hands (see #18) make sure to go light lanterns. Make sure gauze is not too close to the flame due to councilors will not come to your aid and help put out the fire.
20. always remember that no matter how you get to camp and no matter how much you want to leave, you will be always grateful for the friends you met, the stuff you learned, and the faith you hold true to your heart.

Thank you Roger and Sunni for giving me such and opportunity to grow to learn and to live! It was the best years of my life and I seriously would not be where I am today without it!

P.S. Thanks Roger for all the trips to and from camp in the truck. You helped a former councilor find a little camp again. =) God bless your future journey in life.

No comments: