Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Five: Time for Palms


Can you believe Daylight Savings Time is here already? It's hard to get used to the new, earlier onset. My family has been getting up and out a little late and a little sleepy in the mornings.

And can you believe that in two days it will be Palm Sunday for Western Christians? Our Lent is almost over, while our Orthodox sisters and brothers, whose liturgical year follows the older Julian calendar, are just starting theirs. Nicholas did a recent book report on George Washington, and we were surprised to find out that our first President's birthday was originally Feb. 11, since he was born just before the change to the Gregorian calendar. Apparently the change almost caused rioting, as some indignant people were sure that they were being cheated out of eleven days of their lives!

To help you adjust--and enjoy the process--here's a Friday Five about time and transitions....

1. If you could travel to any historical time period, which would it be, and why? I've always wanted to meet
* Jesus to get a more enlightened feel of what I believe
* King David to see what it was like to lead people and have a strong faith
* Queen Elizabeth I (to visit with a queen who broke so many boundaries for women and the Christian Church
*Abraham Lincoln - what a humble yet powerful leader who lead a country on ending slavery
* Martin Luther - after studying him a ton in confirmation class and learning of his struggle with faith and the Catholic religion, I would like to see what kind of a man he really was.
* My Uncle David (who died of polio before my dad even graduated high school - I've been told that I have many traits like him and would like to have met him to know him
* My husband's grandfather J - he died only weeks before my husband and I started dating. I have been friends with him and his brother for quite some time and after marrying into the family, I hear of so many similarities that my father-in-law and husband have with him.

During most of those times, I'm not sure I would enjoy my time from this civilized world and travel to a different time, where living was quite different and being a woman wasn't necessarily respected. But meeting these people would bring a new light to my life.


2. What futuristic/science fiction development would you most like to see? Cars that fly through the air, civilization on the moon, traveling to mars.

3. Which do you enjoy more: remembering the past, or dreaming for the future? Depends on the day. Lately, I have been dreaming more of the future, with a new member on the way. Just trying to see how my son will deal with being a big brother and entering kindergarten this fall. That gets me excited and scares me at the same time.

4. What do you find most memorable about this year's Lent? This Lent has flown and nothing too significant has occurred, but just coming to a new understanding about my faith and realizing how so quickly things change. One can not take their faith for granted.

5. How will you spend your time during this upcoming Holy Week? What part do you look forward to most? Well, my husband and I were asked to help out with a skit at church on Sunday to help bring a new light to Maundy Thursday. But our Easter weekend will consist of going and spending time with family. It's been since Thanksgiving since we have been back and we look forward to spending time with Grandma and Grandpa and taking a break from our normality.

No comments: