Friday, February 15, 2008

Is there an elephant in the room?


So.....tonight, my son, husband and I just finished a game of Candyland. (fun game to play, especially if you stack the cards well) and the three of us were just hanging out and thinking about the bedtime routine and my husband farted. My son, sitting next to him looked up and asked, "Dad, you do that?"

My husband smiled, then tried to blame me, then I blamed him and finally, he told my son, "the elephant did. Did you see him?"

A surprised look came across my son's face. He couldn't believe an elephant made that noise, but he was looking like he believed. Dad went on to explain that the elephant made the noise then ran over to the chair by the window. He convinced him to look over by the chair across the room, to see if the elephant was hiding under there.

Very bravely, my son got up and went to the chair. He smiled the whole way there, looked around a little and proudly stated, "I don't see elephant dad."

"Go look over by the curtains."

As my son turned to the curtains, dad said, "look out!"

Now, if you know my son he has some great facial expressions. I must tell you, the look on his face was not just being scared, he was terrified. And as a parent, it's no laughing matter. But, as a parent, to see your son get scared of an imaginary elephant he has not even seen is very funny. So as he tore across the room as quick as he could, crying for mom the entire way, it was so, so hard not to laugh. He would not look at the chair or anything. Even though dad tried to comfort him, it was too late.

20 minutes later and some convincing that elephants live in the zoo and not in our house seemed to help. Dad had to double check by the chair and curtains and make a scene about how there was no elephant there helped more. After settling down and cracking some jokes, and dad turning on the hall lights, we managed to get him was ready for bed.

It was some good laughs (and tears of joy) and we realize that relating elephants and farts are not a good idea with our 4 year old.

No comments: