Friday, December 21, 2007

It's Almost Christmas, Friday Five!

I have debated with myself for weeks about today's Friday Five.

  • Self 1: It should be deep and theological.
  • Self 2: But it's almost Christmas, it should be fun and warm and sweet.
  • Self 1: But your last Friday Five was sort of silly. You should show your more serious side.
  • Self 2: You worry WAY too much!
So after consulting with my fourteen year old daughter, we're going playful, pals o' mine! I love stories, so I hope you'll tell some about your favorite Christmas memories.

  1. What was one of your favorite childhood gifts that you gave? My siblings and I gave my mom a bell for a Christmas one year. My mom collects bells and we found the "perfect" one. My siblings kept giving "hints" to her of what it was. I was so proud of this gift and wanted to keep it a secret. I got so frustrated at all of them, I just blurted out, "If you don't knock it off, I'm going to take that bell and ring it in your face!!!" Even though I let the cat out of the bag, my mom still loved it and I loved that beautiful bell!
  2. What is one of your favorite Christmas recipes? Bonus points if you share the recipe with us. My Grandma K's sugar cookie recipe. It's not as bland as the other sugar cookies that I can buy in the store. It actually is quite yummy!! Even without the frosting. =)
  3. What is a tradition that your family can't do without? (And by family, I mean family of origin, family of adulthood, or that bunch of cool people that just feel like family.) Grandma K's cookies! It's a must each Christmas!
  4. Pastors and other church folk often have very strange traditions dictated by the "work" of the holidays. What happens at your place? The changing of the Days till Christmas calendar. The kiddos just love to hear that Christmas Day is coming closer and closer. They get so excited. First it was to just make sure it was up to date, now it's to make sure I can see an excited face turn into a big grinning one.
  5. If you could just ditch all the traditions and do something unexpected... what would it be? I would go and visit another part of the country and invite the family to join me. Like, Florida, Texas, California....someplace warm, but that still celebrates the season. Just for a change.
Merry Christmas from RevHRod, Self 2!

No comments: