Friday, September 7, 2007

Friday Five: On Survival

brought to you by: http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/

Authorities are looking for adventurer Steve Fossett in the Nevada/California wilderness. A woman was found alive after nearly two weeks in the mountainous wilderness of eastern Oregon. Amazing stories of survival are all around us, if we just take the time to look. Sally has the Friday Five this week, much more serious than usual - but also, I think, important.

So many of us are overcomers in one way or another, so many have amazing stories to tell of God's faithfulness in adversity. And so I bring you this Friday 5;

1.Have you experienced God's faithfulness at a difficult time? Tell as much or as little as you like...

When my son was born. The doctor came in and told us they are 90-99% sure he had down-syndrome. Not news any first time parent wants to hear. For about 2 hours, we were in disbelief and totally scared out of our minds. Around 2 hours later, the Genetics doctor came in and told us that she did not believe that our son had DS (which after testing proved to be right). Even both were personal opinions, both scared us. We spent a lot of time praying and soul searching. We both felt God was there.

2. Have you experienced a dark night of the soul? If so what brought you through?

My son's ordeal stated #1. Support from my husband and prayers helped so much.

3. Share a Bible verse, song, poem that has brought you comfort.

Jesus wept.
John 11:35 This verse shows me that even the big guy himself had some tough days. He felt sad so he wept. So in my deepest hours, I believe that not only am I crying, but He is too, and wanting to make my pain all the less.

4. Is "why suffering" a valid question?

I don't believe that anyone wants to suffer or does anyone want anyone else to truly suffer. So, asking why God would allow this is valid. However, we do need to understand that God did give us a world with no suffering. Unfortunately, Adam and Eve didn't want to keep it that way. I can only imagine how wonderful this world would be with no suffering. But I can't blame Adam and Eve on using their human instincts so eat the fruit. Someone else down the road would have taken the tasty treat at some point. It was bound to happen. I'm just thankful I have someone to share my suffering with.

5. And on a lighter note- you have reached the end of a dark and difficult time- how are you going to celebrate?

I start by saying a prayer of thanks. It's usually a quiet one or one in my head so I can truly tell God how much I appreciate Him and His help through my time of need. Then I gave my husband and son a much needed hug. No matter what went through my head, I want my family to know that I love them, no matter what obstacles we have ahead.

Bonus- anything you wish to add....

Even though the DS (#1) was an issue when my son was born, he has overcome many more health concerns ("failure to thrive" aka not eating enough to support his growth, a horse shoe shaped kidney, small size, 4 surgeries by the age of 4). Through it all, my husband and I have gained a lot of strength from God and from each other. We always question why bad things happen to good people, but through each adversity, we find that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I believe that everything happens for a purpose. And even though God does not give us our sorrow, he shares it with us to make the pain less.

No comments: